Tom Kha Gai Soup
Description: This Tom Kha Gai soup recipe (or Thai coconut chicken soup) is absolutely amazing. Rich and creamy yet tangy and salty, this Thai coconut chicken soup recipe is filling but light and positively bursting with flavour.
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- ½ onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Thai chile sliced thin
- 3 ¼-inch slices galangal or ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 2 TSP red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups canned coconut cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 8 ounces white mushroom caps sliced
- 1-2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1 ½ – 2 TBSP high quality fish sauce
- 2-3 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2-3 green onions sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ TBSP Cattle Call or to taste
- Take lemongrass and cut into 2-inch long pieces and pound out with side of knife. In a medium size pot, heat coconut over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño or chili, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the aromatics (the garlic, onions, lemongrass, and ginger) and discard. Add in coconut cream or milk, chicken breast (or tofu or shrimp), and mushrooms. Simmer until chicken breast pieces are just cooked through, then add fish sauce, coconut aminos (or coconut sugar), and lime juice, plus more of each to taste.
- Cook 2 minutes, then ladle into serving bowls and top with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro.
Add Umami Papi or your favourite chili oil for an added burst of flavour!