Description: Looking for a little something different? Also know as 'Cowboy Caviar,' this side dish is about as Texas as it comes. The colour, texture and flavour combine to make this a standout appetiser. Serve with your favourite corn chips or along side your proteins.
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite or fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 fresh medium jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper / capsicum, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro / coriander
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1/2 tablespoons (or to taste) The Feedlot Cattle Call
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to two days. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with your favourite corn chips!
- Looking for a bit more tang and heat? Try substituting pickled jalapeños for fresh. Also feel free to add charred corn for another level of flavour!