Smoked Beef Cheek Tacos
Description: Smokey, rich and succulent, these tacos are always a crowd pleaser. Traditionally know in Mexico as Barbacoa, they are a staple in authentic Mexican food.
- 2 beef cheeks
- 1 bottle dark Mexican beer or porter
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 fresh jalapeños
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of orange or pineapple juice
- 1/2 of 7oz can of chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp coco powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- The Feedlot Black Angus
- Preheat the smoker to 275F/135C preferably with a heavier wood like hickory, pecan or mesquite as they pair beautifully with beef.
- Prepare beef cheeks by removing all hard fat and silver skin. You want as much of the meat exposed to maximise flavour and smoke penetration during the cook. Thoroughly coat with Feedlot Black Angus. Once smoker is at 275F/135C, add beef cheeks on indirect heat.
- Next, set your slow cooker to high and add the following ingredients: chopped or sliced onion, chopped chipotle (include adobo sauce), sliced jalapeños (remove seeds from two of the three), beer/porter, orange juice, beef broth, 1 tbsp Black Angus, Worcestershire sauce, molasses and coco powder. Let simmer while the beef cheeks cook.
- Continue to smoke beef cheeks for 3-4 hours spritzing with half water and Worcestershire sauce every thirty minutes. Alternatively, you can spritz with equal parts water and apple cider vinegar. Pickle juice is also a good alternative!
- Pull beef cheeks from smoker and drop into the slow cooker. Flip every hour until fall apart tender (about 3-4 hours on high).
- On a cutting board, shred meat and add to tortillas. Top with your favourite condiments. We love fresh homemade Pico De Gallo, queso fresca, a squeeze of lime and De Arbol hot sauce.
Give your hand at fresh homemade tortillas. They are leaps and bounds better than store bought. Hot tip, don't skip the pork lard. As strange as it may sound, it's the most important ingredient to making real authentic tortillas that melt in your mouth!