Ancient Grain Salad
Description: A unique salad that pairs beautifully with lamb, chicken or other Mediterranean inspired meals. Full of flavour and texture, this dish appears complex but is really just a clever mix of fairly simple ingredients.
- 2 cups of Farro or Freekah
- 5 Baby Cucumbers - Diced Small
- 2/3 Large Red Onion - Diced Small
- 1/2 Brick Good Feta Cheese - Chopped
- 1/2 cup Currants
For the Dressing
- 1/2 Lime, Juiced
- 1/8 cup Mild Oil ( we used avocado)
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Molasses/Paste
- 1/2 tsp The Feedlot Grasslands (or salt and pepper to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Cook grains according to the package directions. We used a pressure cooker on high for 20-25 minutes. The grains will still have a bouncy texture when fully cooked so drain any excess water.
- While the grains are cooking prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients in a narrow container and blend using a stick blender. You can also whisk by hand.
- Once grains have cooked, combine warm grains with cucumber, onion and currents. Add 1/2 of the dressing and stir through. Refrigerate for an hour or until cool.
- Once salad has cooled, stir in Feta cheese and add more dressing to taste.
- To serve, top with any combination of slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds and/or fresh parsley.
Make this a day ahead to really allow the flavour and texture to all come together.